Word up, yo, and a happy belated Thanksgiving to you! I’m not planning on doing any Black Friday shopping, as there is nothing cheap enough to make me sacrifice sleep and go to war with my fellow consumer, but if you are one of those brave souls, I wish you luck. May you find deals sweet enough to put a Nick Cage expression of surprise(?) on your face.
Due to personal matters that include being damn lazy, I’ve been a lame-o and haven’t posted here in about 3 weeks. But my friend Monica over at The Modern Mrs. was determined to break my no-posting streak, and nominated me for a Liebster Award. This excites me because my blog doesn’t receive any awards since there are tons of other tomes out on the interwebz that actually contribute something of value to the world and are more deserving of recognition, but I don’t think Mon has realized this yet and I’m not going to remind her.
Without further ado, here are my answers to her questions:
1. What is a family tradition you cherish deeply?
Christmas Eve, when we all get together and go to Christmas Eve Mass then come home and eat finger foods and consume alcoholic drinkies. Nothing says Christmas better than getting your buzz on with family and friends who happen to be in town.
2. What is your favorite book? Why?
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. It’s non-fiction that reads like fiction, and has all of my favorite elements: dark humor, mystery, and a train wreck of a cast of characters.
3. What are 3 words you would use to describe yourself?
Ridiculous, funny (if only to myself), introspective
4. If given the gift of a lazy day and nothing to do, no work, no chores, no obligations…What would you do with it?
Hang out with T.O., read, or write…I know, I live on the edge.
5. What quote or scripture have you found motivation from?
I’ve always been partial to the lyric by John Lennon, “Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.” I don’t know if I’ve gotten motivation from it, per se, but it helps me to chillax and realize that life doesn’t always go as planned, so instead of fighting it, just be flexible and work with it.
6. Why did you begin blogging?
I’ve been writing since the fourth grade, and have written mainly fiction, (bad) poetry, and personal journal entries throughout the years. I started blogging as a way to share my ridiculous thoughts and funny (again, to me) stories with family, friends, and whoever else stumbled upon my sliver of the internet. I that I quite like it. While fiction is fun to write, I do like to just type out a slice-of-life post and publish it. It’s like an instant gratification for creativity. The icing on the cake has been meeting other bloggers and having the good fortune to peek into their slivers of the internet.
7. How would you predict your life to look in 5 years?
One with more travel experiences under my belt, a blog that’s grown (and hopefully a source of income), and one that I can share with someone special.
8. What goals are you setting for next year?
Write, save up, and hopefully go on a real vacation.
9. If a movie were produced to depict your life, who would you want to star as yourself? Why?
Maybe Sandra Bullock. Whenever I read an interview with her, she comes across and funny and a bit on the ridiculous side like myself, so I think she would “get” me.
10. What accomplishment are you most proud of in the last year?
Obtaining a job I thought I wanted only to find out what I actually do want and not defining my worth by what I do for a living. Weird, I know, but it takes some people longer to get to that realization.
11. What is one sound that always makes you smile?
T.O.’s, my sister’s, or any of my friends’ laughter. It’s really contagious, and I always end up laughing along.
So now here are my questions to my nominees. Let’s keep the award going!
1. Who was your first kiss (and, yes, grade school stories count!)?
2. Who do you think would win in a fight and why: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers?
3. As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
4. Tablets or old-fashioned books? Why?
5. What advice would you give to your 16 year-old self?
6. Name 2 things on your bucket list.
7. What is the riskiest action you ever took?
8. Which song do you feel best describes your life?
9. What is your favorite quote?
10. What has been your favorite travel destination?
11. What inspires you?
And the nominees are…
1. Arleen Spenceley
2. Instant Grativacation
3. Bookmarking Life
4. Casa de Crews
5. Thrifty and Frugal Living
7. Running Wild(er)
8. Emilee’s Journey
9. Boys Will Be Boys
10. I Run For Wine